Licence Number: 2013-FHI-028
Course Code: SGC3001
This short course will assist employees and volunteers who work with children and vulnerable adults or handle their data, to recognise the key principles of safeguarding and to learn to create a safe environment for children, young people, and vulnerable adults.
The intended learning outcomes:
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- familiarise themselves with safeguarding policies;
- understand the legal obligations with child abuse;
- identify signs and symptoms of abuse;
- know the disclosures of abuse;
- identify the principles of safeguarding;
- practice professional boundaries;
- know their legal obligations related to the Protection of Minors (Registration) Act (2011) and the Minors Protection Act (2019);
- learn about the different types of abuse and poor practice;
- learn a standard response to a disclosure of abuse;
- be able to recognise signs of abuse;
- identify the actions to take if you have a concern and who can help.
Employees and volunteers who are currently working, or who desire to get training on working with; children and vulnerable adults or handle their data.
The course is delivered over 5 contact hours. These 5 hours are delivered over two sessions:
- 3 hours – In-person session
- 2 hours – Video recorded sessions
Students will also be given additional reading material which they can read in their own time.
Mr Andrew Azzopardi
Mr Andrew Fiorini Lowell
Ms Carly Zarb
Ms Odette Debono Fsadni
Ms Mary Rose Gatt
Ms Ingrid Baldacchino
Each course is delivered over two sessions; (a) 3 hours of in-person sessions and (b) 2 hours of recorded material which can be accessed on the PFI`s VLE platform.
|MODE OF DELIVERY||DATE & TIME||VENUE|
|In-person||Thursday 22nd September 2022|
05:30 pm – 8:30 pm
|Dar Ġenerali MUSEUM, Floriana|
|Recorded Material||Available from Thursday 22nd – 29th September 2022||Recorded Videos on the VLE platform|
|ASSESSMENT||AVAILABLE FROM||DUE BY|
|Short Multiple-Choice Online Exam||Thursday 29th September 2022||Thursday 6th October 2022|
|Reflective Journal||Thursday 29th September 2022||Thursday 27th October 2022|
This course has three exit certificate options:
- Certificate of Attendance
To obtain a Certificate of Attendance, students must attend all the course contact hours.
2. Certificate of Participation
To obtain a Certificate of Participation, students must attend all the contact hours and pass the short multiple-choice online exam.
3. Certificate of Achievement*
To obtain a Certificate of Achievement, students must:
- attend all the contact hours;
- pass the short multiple-choice online exam;
- and successfully complete a Reflective Journal of at least 500 words;
Teaching Institutions: Pastoral Formation Institute in collaboration with the Safeguarding Commission.
Award Institution: Pastoral Formation Institute
*This certificate is recognised by the MFHEA
Level: PFI Level 3 Credits: 1 ECTS
Qualifications: Every application will be considered on its individual merits. The Pastoral Formation Institute accepts a wide range of qualifications, and we always try to judge applications on the basis of academic potential. We do consider a very wide range of academic, vocational, and professional qualifications, as well as work and other appropriate experiences and skills.
Language: Primary level understanding of Maltese and English.
Digital: Knows how to access the internet and use a word processor.