This short course will assist employees and volunteers who work with children and vulnerable adults or handle their data, to recognise the key principles of safeguarding and to learn to create a safe environment for children, young people, and vulnerable adults.
The intended learning outcomes:
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- familiarise themselves with safeguarding policies
- understand the legal obligations with child abuse
- identify signs and symptoms of abuse
- know the disclosures of abuse
- identify the principles of safeguarding
- practice professional boundaries
- know their legal obligations related to the Protection of Minors (Registration) Act (2011) and the Minors Protection Act (2019)
- learn about the different types of abuse and poor practice
- learn a standard response to a disclosure of abuse
- be able to recognise signs of abuse
- identify the actions to take if you have a concern and who can help
Employees and volunteers who are currently working, or who desire to get training on working with; children and vulnerable adults or handle their data.
The course is delivered over 5 contact hours. These 5 hours are delivered over two sessions:
- 3 hours – In person session
- 2 hours – Online Zoom session
Students will also be given additional reading material which they can read in their own time.
You may find all the dates in the Calendar section below.
Each course is delivered over two sessions; (a) 3 hours in-person session and (b) 2 hours of recorded material which can be accessed on the PFI`s Moodle Portal.
|In-person||Saturday 18th June||9:00 am – 12:00 pm||The Archbishop`s Seminary, Rabat|
|Recorded Material||Saturday 25th June||Recorded Videos on the VLE platform|
The online exam will open on Saturday 25th June at 11:30 am and will close on Saturday 18th June at 5:00 pm
|In-person||Saturday 23rd July||09:00 – 12:00||Catholic Institute, Floriana|
|Online session||Saturday 30th July||Recorded Videos on the VLE platform|
The online exam will open on Saturday 30th July at 20:00 and will close on Saturday 6th August at 16:00
This course has three exit certificate options:
- Certificate of Attendance
You will receive a Certificate of Attendance if you have attended all the contact hours for this course.
- Certificate of Participation
You will receive a Certificate of Participation* if you sit for the exam and pass the short multiple-choice online exam. This online exam is available for you on the Moodle platform. (please check the calendar tab above for exam dates)
- Certificate of Achievement
You will receive the Certificate of Achievement*, if you sit and pass the short multiple-choice online exam (mentioned in point 2), and also submit a Reflective Journal of at least 500 words.
*To obtain a Certificate of Achievement or a Certificate of Participation, a student must; attend all the contact hours and pass successfully the assessment/s.
Teaching Institutions: Safeguarding Commission together with Pastoral Formation Institute
Award Institution: Pastoral Formation Institute
Qualifications: Every application will be considered on its individual merits. The Pastoral Formation Institute accepts a wide range of qualifications, and we always try to judge applications on the basis of academic potential. We do consider a very wide range of academic, vocational, and professional qualifications, as well as work and other appropriate experiences and skills.
Language: Primary level understanding of Maltese and English.
Digital: Knows how to access the internet and use a word processor.